This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- Is there another codechange immanent at FilmNet?
- And how work those D2-MAC-Smartcards anyway?

>Mikael Andersson wrote:
>>
>> >It seems that Filmnet are uploading new keys again (but I haven't got
this
>> >verified from any other place).
>>
>> >Peter
>> >--
>>
>> Let us hope that it's NOT TRUE... :)  Kinnevik (TV1000, TV3 etc.) recently
told
>> the press that they will change their keys every month. Won't that fill
the
>> memory in legal cards in no time ??
>>
>> /Mikael Andersson
>
>No I don't think so. When the D2_mac channels issue a new key, this key has
an u
> nique
>number. When an encrypted package is to be decrypted the command tells us
what k
> ey
>is to be used. This means that any channel should be able to send thousends
of
>different keys, with the same key number, just storing over the old key in
memor
> y.
>Sending a new key 04, and demanding it to be used in the 88 packet.
>
>Regards
>
>Frank Ludvigsen

"Storing over" assumes that the card uses EEPROM for the keys.
Judging from Filmnet and TV1000's key changing history it looks
like they have EPROM in their cards. Sure, they could have been
fooling everybody by never reusing a keynumber but if they
really can overwrite keys one must wonder why they haven't
started to change their keys on a daily basis long ago , like
other channels does. One possible explanation would be that some
of the cards are EPROM and some are EEPROM and that they
will exchange the EEPROM ones.
Here is another theory, Filmnet have some more keynumbers left
(currently at 0B) than TV1000 ( at 0D). Filmnet are currently
downloading new keys but not TV1000. Could it be that they are
planing to run out of keys at the same time and then issue a
new joint card after their merger ???.

- Trouble with D2-MAC-Audio?
- Maybe this can help you...

mark.darbey@uk wrote:

> i'm having terrible problems with audio on d2mac but especially with
> filmnet...
> some of these problems are down to crappy scart/peritel leads, serves
> me right, but even after optimising everythiing filmnet is still very
> hummy...
> kinda makes a mockery of a flash home-cinema setup huh?

There is normally nothing wrong with audio on Filmnet, in fact it is
usually superb and into my surround sound system I have absolutely no
complaints. It was poor on one film I now forget last Sunday but that
doesnt seem to be your problem.

Check first of all the audio on the UHF signal (into TV aerial
socket).
If that is also bad, then it sounds like your receiver/decoder.
If the UHF is OK, then open up those scart leads and check out for
hygenic joints, or buy a new lead.
If it sounds like hum, then most likely a pin in the scart isnt
latching. If you have undone the scart plug end, make sure it is
seating properly, otherwise the pins get pushed back into the plus
instead of mating.......

[Other mailing lists]