[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT Observations 97.03.19

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East,
sponsored by tele-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL, SATCO-DX and TBS Internet.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.
HOW TO CONTACT SAT-MIDEAST:
Send relevant infos, interesting news, and creative comments to :

		hcroom@intouch.com

Upon your request are forwarded messages kept anonymous.
THE HEADLINES IN THIS 97.03.19 REPORT:

- NOKIA 9200S FTA
- PAS 4
- ARABSAT 2B
- TELEPIU ceased
- Bits & Pieces

NOKIA 9200S Free-To-Air
-----------
As I received so much info requests for this MPEG-2 DVB compliant
receiver/decoder, I would like you to hold back your questions just a
little bit longer.
This very promissing piece of engineering is officially not even
launched, and I have no further information than the official NOKIA
statements.
Don't expect from me now the technical details of this new IRD.

Here again the NOKIA statements address:
		http://www.nokia.com/news/news_htmls/mnt_970313.html

As I'm aware that some Nokia officials read these lines as well, they
could possibly be so friendly and drop some more info's in my mailbox (I
don't expect a sample for testing ;-).... I guess I will buy one anyhow,
if it's any good)

EXPRESS 6, 80 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e6.html
---------
No transmissions of any kind could be seen on frequency 4.125 GHz, Rc.
TV6 on 3.875 GHz, Rc, and AST on 4.025 GHz, Rc, continued broadcasts as
usual.

Today early morning a Intersputnik test card could be seen on 3.875 GHz,
Rc.

A RTR tescard could be observed from 3,675 GHz, Rc, on Gorizont 24 from
the same position.

PANAMSAT 4, 68.5 East, http://www.satcodx.com/pas4.html
---------
The "ONTV" programme forecast on SHOWTIME's Channel 23 has been
relaunched today. A simpler screen layout is used, without the animated
images, a shaded blue as backdrop, the "SHOWTIME" logo in a large
pointsize, in the upper right corner, and in the opposite left corner
the ever changing channel logos. Between channel changes the SHOWTIME
logo is animated. All text is in plain white, exept for the logos.

On this fixture the rolling titles are displayed, moving in from the
bottom to the top, the programm titel, with the scheduled display time.
All channel forecasts with changing progamming are available, the new
additions s.a. Style and the Discovery Channel are included.

SME Comment: What really is missing is the date of shown transmissions.
The assumption is that todays programs are displayed makes it quite
difficult around midnight, in the various timezones.

This brings me to the second problem: There is no reference shown
between the displayed time and GMT/UTC. The displayed time is not even a
standard one s.a. GMT, CET or CAT, displayed is the main time in DUBAI,
U.A.Emirates.

Yesterdays transmissions of the Iranian oppositions TV "Sima-yeh
Moghavmat (Vision of Resistance)" on 4.040 GHz, H, carried a real stereo
audio signal on 6.60 - 7.20 MHz.

INTELSAT 801, 47 East, http://www.satcodx.com/i801.html
------------
Intelsat 801 is currently located at 47 East. Any reports of test
activities can be forwarded to SME and Christian Lyngemark
<webmaster@satcodx.com> who also supplied this information.

ARABSAT 2B, 26 East, http://www.satcodx.com/a2b.html
----------
After yesterday evenings excellent reception quality on transponder 7,
3.875 GHz, Rc, for Mauretania TV, and the very poor results of RTM-1,
Marocco, on transponder 11, 3.925 GHz, Rc, everything was more in the
balance again today. Both transponder showed good results in the early
evening on the mentioned frequencies.

Just for the record: The transmissions of RTM-1 on the Arabsat 2B are
not 100 percent identical with the broadcasts of RTM-1 on Eutelsat
II-f3, transponder 25, 10.972 GHz, V.

At least four other feed transmissions could be observed tonight at the
same time; it was getting really busy: transponder 16, 4.061 GHz, Lc;
transponder 15, 4.044 GHz, Rc; and sharing transponder 13 on 3.966 GHz,
Rc, ASBU, with on 3.996 GHz, Rc, a sports feed.

HOT BIRD 1, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb1.html
----------
The Telepiu DStv transmissions on transponder 4, 11.283 Ghz, V, have
ceased. The expected Italian channel is however not yet looped through.

INTELSAT 707, 1 West, http://www.satcodx.com/i707.html
------------
Transponder 111X-A, 10.967 GHz, V, was not showing a carrier tonight.
The double transmission of Israel's commercial Channel 2 on transponder
111X-B, 11.015 GHz, V, and transponder 73B, 11.176 GHz, V, is still
continued.
On transponder 73A, a colorbar test card with text "EMEQ HAELA".

AMOS 1, 4 West, http://www.satcodx.com/amos1.html
------
The "jumpy" Amos test card is again been moved: from transponder 3L,
11.140 GHz, V, to transponder 5U, 11.596 GHz, V. No audio subcarrier is
brought forward. I think they just want to see if SATCO-DX can keep up
with the changes. ;-)

PANAMSAT 3-R, 43 West, http://www.satcodx.com/pas3r.html
------------
A feed for Germany's ARD from Lima, Peru was seen on 12.699 GHz, V, with
a subcarrier on 6.60 and 7.20 MHz.

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt

SAT-MidEast maintains a homepage with all relevant Middle Eastern
satellite information, e.g. receivable satellites, their positions,
future satellites, foot print maps, latest news, broadcaster info's,
interesting Internet links, and a, satellite based, archive of all
messages released since the start of SAT-MidEast on November 5, 1996.

         SAT-MidEast: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/