[Prev][Next][Index]

TELE-satellit News - 19 November 1995

This news is provided free of charge to on-line users by TELE-satellit
magazine and TS News Service GB. IT IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. It may
not be reproduced for commercial reasons by any means what so ever. If
you wish to reproduce this news or redistribute it for non commercial
use please contact the email address below.

Der TS Nachrichtendienst ist ein Service fuer die Freunde von
TELE-satellit und TS-TV und ist nur fuer persoenliche infromation
freigegeben.
ts-news <your name>" You should receive a welcome message within a few
minutes. If you don't something has probably gone wrong. Most likely
the return address in your email that majordomo uses is invalid and it
attempts to send you a message but it bounces back to me.

If you get no response try subscribing by typing your email address
into the message.

****If that still fails to work email me and I'll sort it out !

TELE-satellit
EUROPE'S SATELLITE MAGAZINE
International Satellite Broadcasting News
Number 78, Week ending 19 November 1995
By Martyn Williams
News Desk : Internet martyn@twics.com  or CompuServe CIS:martynw
(c) TELE-satellit Magazine

CNNfn TAKES SHAPE
Don Fitzpatrick, Shoptalk
  LOS ANGELES, USA (SHOPTALK) -- CNN Business News executive Lou Dobbs
met with Ted Turner last week to prepare for its head-to-head battle
for business news with CNBC's Roger Ailes.
  Turner's cable network will launch CNN Financial Network Dec. 29
despite expert opinions that there's not enough demand for business
news to create a network nor enough advertising dollars to support it.
  CNNfn will be the eighth cable network launched by Turner
Broadcasting Systems and will go up against not only CNBC but
Bloomberg News and Dow Jones in the field of business journalism.

UK BANS TV EROTICA
  LONDON, England (TS) -- Making itself the laughing stock of Europe
again, the British Government said last week they will ban reception
of XXX TV, because of the channel's programming which is nothing but
"a pornographic diet of degradation."
  In around two weeks it will become illegal to sell cards for
reception of "TV Erotica - XXX TV". Around 8,000 Britons receive the
service already according to estimates. The ban has been approved by
the EU under it's internal market television legislation.
  The UK took similar action in 1992 against Red Hot Dutch, a
Netherlands, and later Denmark, based hard core porn channel and is
also understood to be looking into banning Rendez Vous TV.

GALS-2 LAUNCHED
Jean Phillipe Donnio, TS Paris
  PARIS, France (TS) -- The GALS-2 satellite was launched early Friday
evening. GALS-2, as GALS-1, are owned by a Chinese company called the
Land Group.
  GALS-2 will be leased for $9 million a year to the Global DBS
Company, whose shareholders include the Loral Corp, General Instrument
Co and TCI Cable TV Co, all of the United States, and British General
Telecommunications Ltd/Asian TV network.
  The Gals satellites are intended for direct broadcasting. Equipped
with only 3 transponders, their coverage is provided by 2 narrow beams
with up to 57 dBW signals. Lifetime of the birds is 5 to 7 years.
  GALS-1 is located at 71 deg East. GALS-2's position is currently
unknown nut could be sent to any of the 17 slots reserved for GALS
satellites at the ITU.

ARIANE LAUNCHES ESA PROBE
  WASHINGTON, USA (ARIANE) -- On November 16, 1995, Arianespace
successfully placed into orbit the European Space Agency's ISO
scientific satellite.
  The launch from the Space center in Kourou, French Guiana, was
carried out by an ARIANE 44P, which is equipped with four solid-
propellant-strap-on boosters. Liftoff took place on Thursday, Nov. 16,
1995 at: 2220 Kourou time, 2020 EST, 0220 CET Friday.
  Commenting on this tenth successful launch of the year, Arianespace
Secretary General Francoise Bouzitat said, "Arianespace is
particularly proud of its contribution to this evening's successful
launch, since this flight marks a new step forward in our
understanding of the universe.
  We applaud this achievement by the European Space Agency, whose
scientific program is a fundamental part of its overall activities.
The launch of ISO marks yet another milestone in the long line of
major research and observation satellites placed into orbit by the
European launcher."
  The next launch, Flight 81, is scheduled for December 7.  An ARIANE
44L launch vehicle will be used to place two telecommunications
satellites into geostationary transfer orbit:  Telecom 2C for France
Telecom, and Insat 2C for the Indian Space Research Organization
(ISRO).
  Following Flight 80, Arianespace backlog now stands at 36 satellites
to be launched.

ECHOSTAR 1 IN CHINA
  NEW YORK, USA (ECHOSTAR) -- EchoStar Communications Corp. said
Thursday it has shipped EchoStar-I, its first direct broadcast
satellite (DBS), to China.
  The Lockheed-Martin Series 7000 satellite is scheduled to travel
from Lockheed Martin AstroSpace in New Jersey to Philadelphia, then to
Alaska, across the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia, into Shanghai and
then to the  launch site at Xichang.
  It is currently scheduled for launch by China Great Wall Industry
Corp. in late December.  With the successful launch of EchoStar-I,
EchoStar's DISH (Digital Sky Highway) Television Network is slated to
begin broadcasting early next year.
  "Assuming, among other things, that AsiaSat-2 successfully launches
in its announced Nov. 28 launch window, China Great Wall has
tentatively scheduled EchoStar-I for launch Dec. 28," said Charles
Ergen, chairman and chief executive officer of EchoStar. "This is one
of the greatest milestones in our company's history, and it's exciting
to be this close to realization of the goal we've all worked so long
and hard to achieve.
  "We have licensed all major programming slated for EchoStar-I,
demonstrated our capability to broadcast from our state-of-the-art
uplink center."

PANAMSAT-2 UPDATE
Nathan Kopel - International Radio Monitors (Australia)
- 3935 MHz, Horiz., 6.20 Mhz - Thursday 16.11.95 has been a busy day
for Pas 2 transponders. Broadcasts from the APEC Summit at Osaka
continued on 3935 Horiz.with both Reuters test patterns and video news
coverage being observed. CNBC Asia are taking feeds from Osaka for
their news coverage of the Summit.
- 3905 MHz, Horiz., 6.20 Mhz - At around 04.00  UTC, NBA Basketball
(Denver Vs Phoenix) from TBS was noted, followed by some video of
Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers. (Hart to Hart?) A PAS-2 Sylmar,
CA. test pattern appeared at around 05.20 UTC.
- 3995 MHz, Vert., 6.20 Mhz - CNN International Newsource feeds are
still present on the above frequency with txs at various times.

WHERE'S LARRY ?
  LONDON, England (TS) -- CNN International pulled last Friday's
edition of Larry King Live from screens to show a re-run. In the
United States the program featured special edition on the 1996 US
presidential election.
  TELE-satellit is unaware of the reason why this was not shown
worldwide, as is usually the case.

INVESTIGATION LAUNCHED INTO BULGARIAN TV BOSS
Stefan Krause, OMRI Inc.
  SOFIA, Bulgaria (OMRI) -- An investigation has been launched into
the activities of Ivan Granitski, director-general of Bulgarian
National TV, Demokratsiya reported on 11 November.
  The Union of Democratic Forces has accused Granitski of repeatedly
denying its representatives access to air time and has asked that he
be suspended.
  Deputy Prosecutor-General Vladislav Spasov confirmed that an
investigation has begun, saying there is already enough material to
prove Granitski violated the provisional statute on the state-run
media. Granitski could be dismissed legal proceedings get under way.
If convicted, he would face up to five years in prison.

GBP 2, Europe GBP 4, RoW GBP 6.

TELE-satellit GB
  PO Box 1124
  Ascot
  Berkshire
  GB-SL5-0XH

email : 100574.1003@compuserve.com

CREDITS,

Reports in TELE-satellit news are from our worldwide network of
reporters and sources. In particular we would like to thank :

Curt Swinehart for keeping us up to date with all parts of the
satellite industry.

Don Fitzpatrick of DFA in San Francisco for providing permission to
reproduce articles from Shoptalk, the TV news industry's daily news
and information magazine.

OMRI material was reprinted with permission of the Open Media Research
Institute, a nonprofit organization with research offices in Prague,
Czech Republic. For more information on OMRI publications, please
write to: info@omri.cz

Reproduction in part of Jonathan's Space Report was maded possible by
kind permission of Jonathan McDowell. To read the full edition see
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/QEDT/jcm/space/jsr/jsr.html or
ftp://sao-ftp.harvard.edu/pub/jcm/space/news/news.*

News from Radio Sweden is made possible by Geroge Wood, presenter of
Sweden Calling DXers/MediaScan,  the world's oldest radio program
about international broadcasting. Radio Sweden has presented this
round-up of radio news, features, and interviews on Tuesdays since
1948. It's currently broadcast on the first and third Tuesdays of the
month. http://www.sr.se/rs

___
This piece of news is from ts-news provided by TELE-satellit (http://www.TELE-satellit.com)

[Other mailing list archives]