This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- SETUP FOR YOUR MOTORIZED DISH OK ???

>I have just had a motorised dish installed ( I live in Alton, Hampshire -
>UK) 80cm, Universal LNB, Connected to a Pace MSS260 and an MSP200R, they
>guys that did it had not fitted a motorised dish before and had trouble
>aligning it. Looking through What Satellite I see that I should be able to
>pick up quite a few satellites, this is not the case though! ( The dish has
>clean line of site for all locations)

Bad alignment, try to get a refund for the hours they used
unsucessfully trying to set it up. Don't take it!

>Astra picture is excellent, 1degree west is crap (I had an 80cm dish on it
>before and the picture was great!), Hotbirds are ok, Can't get 16degree
>east, Telecom satellites are pretty strong picture, and I cannot get
>anything else - does this sound right.

No, sounds like sloppish installation.

>I notice that my positioner has a polarizer control would connecting an LNB
>with this feature make things better (Yes by know you have probably
>gathered I know sod all about motorising systems - that why I paid someone
>to do it - I just want to know did they do it right?)

A polarizer aligns the the variation of polarization when you watch a
satellite that is relatively far from your own meridian, so if you
want to really get the most from your setup, you would want to include
a polarizer for best results with satellites that are far away from
due south (your meridian).

>One other thing are PACE IRD's notorious for not working with Pirate cards,
>the only channel on 1 degree west that will decode it TV1000 - or is this
>caused by the weak signal being received?

Only the oldest ones like D150, my reciever is also a Pace MSS260 and
both my Multimac 2.03 and my BPSC-euro decodes everything they have
codes for. You must be having too weak a signal.

>Help Please! If any thing needs changing/Adding doing you comments would be
>gratefully received :-)

Call the company that "installed" it and tell them what they can do
with their bill!

>It's as if the dead are coming to life!

on SCI-FI, I assume?

- WHAT IS A TWIN-LNB, AND HOW DOES IT WORK ??

In article <5firm4$b1i$1@nuacht.iol.ie> "Denis" writes:

> Can anyone tell me, how does a twin LNB work and what are the advantages
> and disadvantages.   Thanks a million.....Denis.

It depends upon what you mean by "twin LNB", since the term has become
debased since people started putting two separate LNBs on one dish ("dual
illumination") to pick up signals from two different satellites.
Assuming you understand that concept, then I must presume you want to
know what a single "twin LNB" unit does, and how it differs from a "dual
LNB".

Each incorporates two separate LNBs in a system with a single feedhorn.
The dual LNB consists of two completely normal LNBs, with voltage
controlled switching of polarization, that just happen to share a
feedhorn.  Thus these can be wired up to two separate satellite
receivers, and each controls the polarization of its LNB.  This is the
easiest way to be able to run two receivers from one dish (apart from the
kluge with a cable splitter, where just one of the receivers powers the
LNB, and hence has the responsibility of switching polarization).

The twin LNB, OTOH, is intended for systems with more than two receivers
connecting.  As I said before, it too contains two LNBs, but this time
they don't switch polarization: instead, one is permanently on
horizontal, and the other on vertical.  As with the dual LNB, two
downleads are brought into the premises, where they (most usually) enter
a distribution amplifier.  The amplified signals will then be piped
around (still over two separate cables) the complete premises.  At each
wall outlet, a switching arrangement permits a satellite receiver to
control just which cable the signal is taken from: select the voltage
that would normally switch an LNB to horizontal and the signal is taken
from one cable, or vertical for the other.  It's really an elegant
arrangement for SMATV in a block of flats, etc.

Advantages and disadvantages: well, the twin LNB is no use without the
distribution amplifier and wall outlets, so is a very expensive solution
for driving two receivers!

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}