This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- POLARIZOR FROM CHAPPARALL ADVISE AND STUFF...

"Richard Bailey" writes:

> Hi,
>   I recently bought a second hand mechanical polarisor, a Chapparal, which
>   arrived very well packed but without any instructions whatsoever.
>
>   I was wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of things.
>
>  1). How do I physically fasten it to the dish? There are three flanges
with
>  holes to bolt it through, one circular flange with a rubber "O" ring,
>  presumably to keep out water. At right angles to the round flange is a
>  square flange with four holes and at right angles to that (opposite the
>  round flange) is an oblong flange, again with four bolt holes.
>
>                Side view. (sorry about the crap diagram)
>
>                        __________
>  Round flange         |          |
>     with      _    ___|          | <- Box with 3 wires
>    "O" ring  | |__|  ||          |
>           -> |  __   ||----------'
>              |_|  |  || <- oblong flange
>                  _|__|_
>                 |______| <-square flange

My tummy-rub guess is that you have bought a dual-band polariser
called a Co-Rotor, which requires a separate feed unit.  The Round
flange is, I assume, where the scalar ring feed fits, and which is
used to ajust the feed beamwidth to correctly illuminate your dish
with whatever f/b ratio it has. This unit is probably designed to
mount at the prime focus of a 10' dish. I also guess that the square
flange is for the Ku band LNB and the oblong one for a C band LNB and
I also guess that the three wires are for the receiver to control the
stepper motor which moves the vanes inside the polariser.

>  I have a Pace MSS508ip with 1.2mtr Channel Master and Grundig 0.8
universal
>  LNB. Is it possible to join this polarisor to this LNB, or do I need a
>  specific type?

I suggest you call Chapparal in California or SCT in the UK and find
out the facts, which will be more useful than my guessing.

Then when you know what you've got, mount it on a nicely polished
piece of wood on your coffee table as an interesting high-tech piece
of sculpture, and then get yourdelf an appropriate Ku only feed which
is compatible with your dish, your LNB and also with your receiver's
ability to control it.

Regards,
--
   Tony - G3SKR / AA2PM

- INTERNET-ACCESS VIA SATELLITE UPDATE

>   "Timothy J. Veach" writes:
>  On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Philippe BRUNO wrote:
>
>  > Internet via satellite in Europe = What's the situation now ?
>  >
>  > There is also "Orion Atlantic" in U.K., but I'm still waiting for an
answer
>  > from them.
Orion Atlantic as well as other satellite service provider (e.g. NSN in
Colorado) offer two way Internet access via satellite to a
backbone node usualy in the US. That could be any type of Internet service
you know. It is fast and reliable but expensive
compared to your domestic access.
Therfore it is not affortable for a private access but I know a couple of
companies using such a service and which are very happy
with that.

>  > That's for Europe. Of course, in the States there are plenty of, but in
>  > Europe the situation is very different...
Several satellite provider do now offer this type of service in Europe also.
Frank Merkel from DTM Berlin <100045.273@COMPUSERVE.COM> might be able to
give you a list. Of course I would
recommend to go after an ISDN Internet access over satellite.
Best Regards

Frank Piepiorra, Data TeleMark L.C.

[Other mailing lists]