[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-UK-News #267 01.07.98: UKTV Digital & Canal+ Poland

Sat-UK-News Report #267:
- UKTV in Sky Digital
- Canal+ Poland on HotBird
Wednesday 01.07.98
Email: dsedghi@TELE-Satellite.com OR dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/
And now the news:

channels and is a joint venture between BBC Worldwide and Flextech.
Under the agreement, Flextech and UKTV have secured digital satellite
carriage for ten channels. Flextech's wholly-owned channels, Bravo,
Challenge TV, Living and Trouble, all of which are part of the Sky
Multi-Channels Package in analogue, will launch on Sky digital satellite
from 1 August 1998.
 The BBC/Flextech joint venture, UKTV, has secured digital satellite
carriage for existing channels UK Gold, UK Horizons, UK Arena and UK
Style and additionally for a music entertainment service which will
launch in the next twelve months. It is intended that UK Gold, which is
part of Sky's current analogue package, will be enhanced with an
additional service, UK Gold 2, which will launch in the Autumn. As part
of the UKTV agreement with Sky, documentary channel UK Horizons will
gain analogue satellite carriage from 1 September 1998. UK Horizons
currently broadcasts on cable in the UK.
 Adam Singer, Chairman, Flextech p.l.c. and Chairman, UKTV said:  "This
is an extremely significant deal.  Flextech and UKTV are delighted to be
part of Sky's pioneering effort to build digital TV in the UK.  We share
common goals with Sky and I am confident that our channels will add
value and diversity to Sky's digital satellite offering to consumers."
 Rupert Gavin, Chief Executive, BBC Worldwide said:  "This is valuable
additional distribution for our subscription channels and an important
step in carrying the BBC's programming into the digital multi-channel
environment." A press conference will be held at 3.30pm today, 1 July,
at The City
Presentation Centre, 4 Chiswell Street, London EC1.

---------- Canal+ Poland on HotBird
(source: Eutelsat)
 Canal Plus has selected EUTELSAT for the first Polish digital
television platform. The new package will be launched in September using
capacity on EUTELSAT's HOT BIRD™ satellites at 13 degrees East and will
be receivable throughout Poland with 60cm antennas. Canal Plus's
decision to use EUTELSAT confirms the leading position played by the
Organization's HOT BIRD™ satellites in one of Europe's largest and most
competitive satellite television markets. Using EUTELSAT capacity, Canal
Plus has already had considerable success in Poland with Canal Plus
Polska, the country's largest pay-TV channel which was launched in 1995
and today has 250,000 subscribers. Nine additional Polish channels also
broadcast via EUTELSAT of which four are analogue and five digital.
 According to the most recent audience research in Poland, nearly 90 per
cent of satellite television households in the country watch channels
broadcast from EUTELSAT. Nearly 80 per cent of direct-to-home households
are equipped for HOT BIRD™ reception. EUTELSAT operates a fleet of 11
satellites for fixed and mobile communications in Europe. In addition to
broadcasting over 300 digital and 70 analogue television channels the
satellites are used for multimedia communications, business networks,
satellite newsgathering, telephony and the EUTELTRACS messaging and
positioning service for trucks and fishing vessels.

All contents (C) 1998 Dominic Sedghi, except where indicated. All rights
reserved. Contents may be
reproduced providing the following is included: "Provided by Sat-UK, a
part of TELE-Satellite".
Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.