[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-UK #167 09.12.97: SCI-FI CHANNEL ON SIRIUS 2

Sat-UK Report #167:
- Sci-Fi Channel now on Sirius 2; Sirius 2 reception reports
tuesday 9th december 1997
Email: dsedghi@TELE-Satellite.com
Sat-UK Web: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/
And now the news:

---------- Sci-Fi Channel now on Sirius 2; Sirius 2 reception reports

The Sci-Fi Channel has started broadcasting in D2-MAC on 12,322 V,
encrypted in eurocrypt m, as suggested yesterday. EBN is scheduled to
start on this transponder soon. Kanal 5 is now broadcasting full time on
12,476 V - or at least, it's been there every time I've looked! For
those with digital receivers, SVT Europa has a test card on 12,380 H on
the European beam - I'd love to hear some reception reports for this.
As for reception on Sirius 2, there seemed to me to be a peak yesterday
at around 23.00, when Kanal 5 and the Sci-Fi Channel were perfect - no
sparklies at all. Today it seems to be back to normal again. I am
reluctant to put this down to bad weather - although it has been raining
a bit here, it shouldn't have made such an impact. I presume that the
beam was for that short time on full power, and is currently a bit lower
again. For people with large dishes, say 1m and larger, this reduction
in power would probably have no effect. For those with 80cm dishes, it
will be noticeable. I have a 90cm dish half-hidden behind some trees, so
I'd estimate my reception as comparable with that of an 80-85cm dish.
Anyway, here's what some other people got:

near London
1m dish, 0.7dB LNB, EchoStar 5700: 'good' sparklie-free reception on
Kanal 5
(Youssouf Seedat)

Bicester
1m dish, 0.9dB LNB, Pace MSS508IP: a few sparklies on the Sci-Fi Channel
("Richard")

1.2m dish, 0.7dB LNB, Pace MSS1008IP: crystal clear on Kanal 5 & SVT
Europa
(Dermot Nolan)
[well what do you expect with a 1.2m dish, Nolan? ;-) - ed.]

While we're talking reception reports, has anyone noticed a change in
the beam strength on PanAmSat 3R, specifically the NTSC test card on
12,700 H. Perhaps PanAmSat 6 is taking over? I hope you all don't mind
these chatty-like contributions to Sat-UK. They won't be here for long -
when Sat-UK-Club launches soon, this sort of thing will continue there.

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi, except where indicated. All rights
reserved. The above may not be reproduced without written consent.
Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.