[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

AW: [SAT-TOPIC]: Why/Warum Adr?

Dear Per Olav,

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. ADR Broadcast is so popular in Germany because the landbased feeds
got extremly expensive. You already guessed it: ADR is used to feed the
terrestric transmitters, but not only the DAB but most of the FM
transmitters as well (that's why you get the whole RDS information in
the ADR data stream). The usage of ADR is an immense cost cutting factor
in the feed cost specially compared to the Deutsche Telekom landbased
"line of sight" directional systems.

2. Basically ADR is usable on cable. There are some technical (a maximum
of 4 channels behind a TV channel) and financial (headend equipment is
somewhat expensive) drawbacks, but the main cause why ADR is not, and
will probably never be in german cable, is a regulatory (legal) problem.

3. The sales figures of ADR receivers from manufacturers are very foggy.
Adding up several sources a good approximation would be:
	200.000 receivers with ADR sold and installed
	130.000 of these have DMX CAM's
These are the figures for Europe, 80% of all receivers are probably
installed in the German speaking countries (D, CH, A ...)

Greetings, Taras.