[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT Observations 97.08.15

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East,
sponsored by TELE-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL, SATCO-DX and TBS Internet.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.
HOW TO CONTACT SAT-MIDEAST:
Send relevant infos, interesting news, and creative comments to :

		hcroom@intouch.com

Upon your request are forwarded messages kept anonymous.
THE HEADLINES IN THIS 97.08.15 REPORT:
(read to the end and you (maybe) will call the MIB)

- Launch Info
- Ariane 5 Info
- PAS-4 DStv Info
- RAI Sat Info
- SAT-MidEast Intern

LAUNCH INFO, http://www.satcodx.com/launches.shtml
-----------
The launch of PanAmSat 5 with the russian Proton is delayed a week from
22 August to 29 August. The upcoming launch window: approximately
03:30-03:40 CAT.
(SATCO DX)

PanAmSat 6, which was launched August 8. is presently at 36.5 West,
moving westwards to its final location at 43.0 West. There will probably
be a halt for testing somewhere before reaching the final position.

Eutelsat's Hot Bird 3, scheduled for a launch in the night from 2 to 3
September has encountered new difficulties upon its way into orbit.

Unconfirmed informations of the Budapest Sun note that the accompanieng
satellite (Meteosat 7) unfortunately isn't ready yet. The search for
another launch companion was not successful, so Eutelsat decided to have
the Ariane launch rocket modified for a (costly) single-satellite
launch. The necessary modifications to the launch system are reportedly
being paid for by launch provider Arianespace. An eventual further
launch delay is not reported yet, but could be expected.

In case of a further delay, it will be even more questionable that the
Sirius 2/Indostar 1 combination gets on the way on October 10th, as
frequently reported. In between are still the launch of V100 with
Intelsat 803 on September 23rd, and the launch from ELA-3 of the Ariane
502 on September 30th scheduled. Could Arianespace really handle 3
launches from 2 launchpads in 17 days ? I must doubt it, but it
certainly would break every known record !

THE ARIANE 5 EXPLAINED
----------------------
Martin OA Ransom's go_Ariane web.site started a very interesting new
story on the new heavy-lift Arianespace launcher Ariane 5. Everything
from planning, construction, launching and development of the system
gets detailed explained here, with lots of technical drawings and
pictures. Take a look at:

	http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2058/tech_18.html

THAICOM 3, 78.5 East, http://www.satcodx.com/thai78.html
---------
Raj TV has started officially today on 3.640 GHz, V, in PAL, with an
Audio Subcarrier on 6.60 MHz. The launch was most probably scheduled to
occure with the 50 Anniversary festivities in India & Pakistan
(SME)

PANAMSAT 4, 68.5 East, http://www.satcodx.com/pas4.html
----------
1stNet announces now regularely to leave this satellite September 30st,
as observed in their programm advertisements on various ART channels.

>From then the 1stNet DStv Network, including all six ART channels,
TNT/Cartoon Network, M-Net etc., will be receivable from Arabsat 2A at
26 East only.

SME Comment: The separation of Showtime and 1stNet has been announced
various time already. We will have to wait and see how real it is this
time.

Actually it would give room for both packages to expand. ART has already
four transponder on Arabsat 2A reserved, where only two are used at
present time for the DStv package. On the other hand could Showtime take
over the vacated two transponder on Panamsat 4 to add more variety to
the package. A major sport channel(ESPN USA ?), a second movie channel
and a classic movie channel (TNT ? NOT !!!) would do wonders to increase
subscription.

Due to the 50 Year Anniversary celebrations in India the ZEE TV channel
in the Multichoice Africa cancelled coding for a day, and was
Free-To-Air on Thursday night.

INTELSAT 703, 57 East, http://www.satcodx.com/i703.html
------------
CNBC Asia on 3.857 GHz, Lc, SR 5998, VPID: 4121, has audio in Hindi on
APID 4122 and audio in English on APID 4133.
(SATCO DX)

SME Comment: Since this last change there is no collision in
program-data between the VIACOM package on Hot Bird 1 and CNBC anymore.
Both broadcasts can now be selected without re-tuning of Nokia's
Mediamaster.

There is a very strong carrier observed by P.Gauduin on 11.108 GHz, H,
on the Mediterranean beam.
(SATCO DX)

TURKSAT 1C, 42 East, http://www.satcodx.com/turk1c.html
----------
Turkish SuperSport and Maxi TV, which will share transponder 3, are
testing on 11.680 GHz, V. Advetisements for the channels can be seen on
both SHOW TV and Cine 5, so these could be a new pair of channels from
that same stable.
(SME)

ARABSAT 2A, 26 East, http://www.satcodx.com/arab2a.html
----------
The reported soundcarrier on 7.02 of the ART C-Band transponder 4, 3.782
Ghz, V, is in fact the sound of ART 5, the Music Channel.
(Mamdouh Taher)

EUTELSAT II-F1, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e2f1.html
----------
Deutsche Welle on transponder 27, 11.163 GHz, V, intends to reduce its
occupied bandwidth from 36 MHz to 27 Mhz after all Telecom head-end
bandfilters have been adjusted.
As DW is using the 72 MHz width transponder 27; it has to be expected
that a digital carrier will be added, either for a TV or one or more
radio signal(s).
(SME, source Eutelsat-D)

HOT BIRD 1, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb1.html
----------
New digital parameters for RAI International on 11.464 GHz, V, SR 4398,
FEC 7/8. The attached radio channel has now APID 4294.
(SATCO DX)

HOT BIRD 2, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb2.html
----------
In the RAI package, on transponder 54, the doublures of RAI Uno and RAI
Due on Test-1 channel, respective Test-2 have ceased. Channel Test-1 has
been renamed in "Il Cinema dove non c'e" in the internal menus and has
started with new programming as of August 15th, 22:30 CAT, at present
time Free-To-Air. At first a presentation of the Eutelsat 13 East
position was presented, inclusive the launches and features of the
individual satellites on the Hot Bird spot, immediately followed by an
italian movie.

Transponder 52, after initially showing ANN (Arab News Network) was at
22:00 CAT switched over to broadcast the identical programming as on the
previous mentioned digital channel "Il Cinema dove non c'e" on
transponder 54.

RAI is to launch this autumn around 10 thematic channels, using the
available bandwidth on both originally leased transponder 52 and 54.
Most of them are said to be planned Free-To-Air. It is not known if both
transponder will be kept slotted to the widebeam; if not the reception
will be very difficult, almost impossible in the Middle East.

Syrian broadcaster ANN, present user of transponder 52, will be moving
to a free Hot Bird 2 or 3 transponder. The present location for the
evening broadcasts could -on-the-spot- not yet be determined.
(SME)

The three test carriers of the Multichoice Hellas package on 11.823 GHz,
H, will be used for SCPC channels from K-TV (TEST-K), SuperSport
(TEST-S) and The Adult Channel (TEST-A). Encryption is for sure to be
expected. Eventuel decoders, and smartcards will be only available to
Greek Citizens.
(SATCO DX)

SAT-MidEast Intern, http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/
very grateful to see so many readers willing to pay attention for a
friend in need.
I really believe that this is what it's all about. Thanks guys; whatever
the outcome may be, you were there !

Last but not least there is some bad news; for myself, but more for all
of you: the loyal subscribers. Due to the recent cancelation of the
sponsorship for the SAT-MidEast mailing list, I will not be able to
continue this free service.

This issue of SAT Observations from August 15th, is the last coming from
my desk. Untill further notice you will be able to check into the
SAT-MidEast  sat-net.com website. If I receive enough positive,
motivating responses, I could maintain a news page overthere, without
the pressure of the expected regularity.

I'm at the moment not aware if the SAT-MidEast Mailservice
as-you-know-it will be continued by another writer in a similar way. I
sincerely hope so, as it always was my wish that satellite beginners in
the Middle Eastern region get more attention and primal satellite
information and have since the early days of SAT-MidEast the information
always submitted in an easy readable fashion, not only usable by DX'r
and professional users but more intended for the main-stream satellite
viewer.

After all, I feel that I do not have failed in my personal goals, but
most likely missed out the goals of my sponsors to attract enough
readers, and to gather enough attractive Middle Eastern information.

Please keep on reading other mailing lists on offer, and be active
yourself: Look around in the papers, magazines, and, most of all, in the
Clarke Belt. Do report all your interesting findings to Christian
Lyngemark, Webmaster of SATCO DX, who maintains the best satellite
database, I've seen, in this world.

Here the address for the ones who didn't know already:

		webmaster@satcodx.com

Beside the point that you could be the first- and sometimes the only one
to report a new satellite, channel, or feature; you will also be added
to the "elite" number of contributors to the SATCO DX info-base, and
will receive from then on a daily SATCO DX news bulletin  with the
latest satellite informations from around the world, free-of-charge to
your mailbox. This service is NOT subscribable, you are selected to
receive it, through you're own contribution.

It gave me great pleasure to be active for you, and in a lot of times:
with you ! Thank you for being there...

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt
- SAT-MidEast maintains a site with all relevant Middle Eastern
- satellite information, and a regular updated, satellite based,
- archive of observations and messages released since the start
- of SAT-MidEast on November 5, 1996.

         SAT-MidEast: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/