[Prev][Next][Index]

ASK-ME 98.07.10 * Q&A by SAT-MidEast

WELCOME TO ASK-ME !
A satellite question and answer service by SAT-MidEast, Cairo, Egypt
enabled by TELE-Satellite International, SATCO-DX and TBS Internet.

- SAT-MidEast maintains a web site with relevant Middle Eastern
- satellite information, and a regular updated, satellite based,
- archive of observations, features & news for the Middle East.

        SAT-MidEast: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/
MORE OR LESS THE SAME: MEDIAMASTER - MEDIAMASTER - MEDIAMASTER

Is that all there is, my friends...?

BLUE & RED MENU's
-----------------
Q: What is the use of the blue menu & the red menu in my NOKIA 9200-S ?

A: Out of your question I see that you are still operating with the FTA
1.0 software, while in the newer version FTA 2.0 the so called "Red
Menu" is deleted.

The Red Menu is a debugger menu, used by people writing the software,
for test purposes. It is quite complicated to use, more like working as
a computer programmer, and none of the changes or selections you make
are stored for later use. I recommend just to forget about it, never
even try to work with it. I never do since more than a year...

You better up-load the FTA 2.0 software in your machine...

        http://www.nokia.com/products/multimedia/dl.html

The Blue Menu is a so-called "Installer Menu" where you can test certain
items out, you can set the split frequencies of the LNB's, turn power to
LNB's off and on, Display testcards, set the Signal Quality indicator
on/off and much more of those small niceties.
You can reach it by selecting installation -> system settings (but NOT
push OK here) then you enter your PIN code (or the factory setting if
you never changed it: 0000 or 1234) and voila the "Service Menu"
appears, with several pages.

Q: I still not have any channel from Astra 1G which has SR 22000 ?

Just try these ones:

12,581  V	22000 5/6	CSD (Mediaguard encrypted, Promo channel clear)
12,515  H	22000 5/6	Canal+ (Irdeto Encrypted)
12,574  H	22000 5/6	Canal+ (Irdeto Encrypted, BVN TV clear)
12,692  H	22000 5/6	ORF (TW1 clear)

These are the only 22000, 5/6 channels receivable, whereby only three
channels are in clear. The ORF package brings also plenty of radio
channels which are in clear.

There is not that much to receive from Astra if you don't have the CAMs
and the valid smart cards.

COOLING FAN FOR MEDIAMASTER
---------------------------
Q: One of my friends has a Nokia 9500 d-box and he face a problem that
after watching for about 5 minutes the picture of (KU band) get freeze
and interruption of signal take place. If he turn a cooling fan on the
d-box every thing is back to normal. Some of the computer store start
installing the small cooler fan they use for computer CPU inside the
d-box and claim good results. What do you think of this issue ?

A: Correct, it is done everywhere in the Middle- and Far East. I myself
have two spare fans which I can strap on any equipment which overheats
during the summer period. Two things are important however:

1) Mount the fan so that air is sucked out of the equipment: blowing air
to the outside, otherwise you collect dust and particles inside your
equipmnet onto the platine and further inerts.

2) Take care where to draw the power from, not all equipment has much
overspill on its powersuplly. Take a fan with a low consumption and
connect it after the fusebox.

Q: Some people mention over the internet that Dr.Overflow software can
show the data of the channels which we do not see using Nokia software.
What do they mean by that ?

A: Which is true in principle, on the other hand does Dr Overflow DVB98
software not find some channels, it equals out I believe.

The Overflow DVB98 software is by no means supposed to be used by normal
TV consumer, it is an experimental software, without any comfort and
beauty, and it changes five times a week in its original. I would not
recommend it, maybe just once to check it out, and see its feautures,
but not for daily use.

SQ and CAM for MEDIAMASTER
Q: I was able to access the service pages, nothing special, it just
worked. I didn't find a menu or way to activate the front panel signal
indicator.